Thursday, March 13, 2008

Good thing to know!

Okay, so I've been doing this SparkPeople online tracking thing for about 5 days now, right? This website tracks your calories, carbs, fat and protein. Under each category, it gives you a target range for where I should be at the end of the day. Every day so far, I've been pretty deficient in the protein category. By that, I mean I'm not even close to the target range. In calories, carbs and fat, I'm normally in the bottom to mid-section of the respective ranges. Protein . . . always way low.

Normally for breakfast, I have some kind of yogurt. Not the little cups . . . we're talking the 32 oz tubs. No, I don't eat the whole thing. Yes, I could if I wanted to . . . but I don't. :) But even if I did, I still wouldn't breach the high end of the carb or calorie range. Anyway, the reason I eat the yogurt is because I read somewhere once that yogurt helps you lose weight. It has an enzyme that your body likes and helps digests fat more effectively. Or something. I'm not a nutritionist, so what do I know?

Well, being that I never get any protein, I thought, "Hey . . . why not get some cottage cheese this morning instead?" So I get a tub, read over the nutritional information on the back, and I realize just how protein-rich this stuff is. In one serving, you get 24% of your RDA of protein. I, of course, don't have one serving; I have 2. Or 3. For all of that, I only consumed 270 calories, and a TON of protein. Some carbs and fat, but not a lot.

So it looks like the good balance would be yogurt one morning, cottage cheese the next. That's not bad. I can do that!

No comments: